Many couples do not face challenges with conception. However, for others, a little assistance may be needed.
At University Reproductive Associates, with offices in Hasbrouck Heights, Wayne, and Hoboken, New Jersey, our fertility experts offer in vitro fertilization to help people who want to have a baby conceive when traditional methods of conception have failed or aren’t an option.
IVF requires eggs to be removed from the ovaries to then be fertilized with sperm for the creation of embryos. Once successfully fertilized, one or more of the resulting embryos are implanted into a uterus. There are several people involved, including:
- The egg donor, who may or may not be the person being impregnated
- The sperm donor, who may or may not be one of the people who will be a parent
- The carrier, who may be the prospective parent or a surrogate
In preparation for egg harvesting, the egg donor is given injectable hormones to stimulate the ovaries, and mature viable eggs. The eggs are typically obtained through an office procedure using ultrasound guidance.
The sperm donor provides a semen sample. The sperm are collected and added to the dish containing the eggs for “natural” insemination or injected into each egg directly using a process called intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
The carrier then undergoes a procedure to implant the embryo into their uterus, hoping that it will attach to the uterine wall and produce a viable pregnancy.
When is IVF the right choice?
IVF may be the right choice for you if:
- You are sterile for any reason
- You don’t have a partner for natural conception purposes
- You are part of a same sex couple
- You have worrisome genetics that could harm a future child
- You have had cancer or undergone cancer treatment
- You have tried to get pregnant the traditional way without success for more than a year
As a fertility treatment, IVF is popular and highly successful. For women under 35, there’s a 50/50 chance of having a live birth with each round of IVF.
To learn more about the IVF process and determine if it’s the right choice for you, call 201-288-6330 for an appointment at the location closest to you or visit our contact page for more options.