Please see all our locations!
Skip to main content


University Reproductive Associates (URA) -  - Reproductive Endocrinology

University Reproductive Associates (URA)

Reproductive Endocrinologists & Infertility Specialists located in Hasbrouck Heights, Hoboken, Wayne, Millburn, & Denville, N and Goshen, NYJ

More than 11% of women between the ages of 15 and 44 have endometriosis. Though symptoms vary, many women with endometriosis experience infertility. At University Reproductive Associates, the reproductive experts specialize in diagnosing and treating endometriosis to improve symptoms and fertility. To schedule a consultation with the experienced team, contact the office in Hasbrouck Heights, Hoboken, Wayne, Millburn, & Denville, NJ and Goshen, NY, by phone or online today.

Endometriosis Q & A

What is endometriosis?

Endometriosis is a gynecological condition in which the cells that line your uterus (the endometrial cells) are found in other parts of your body such as your peritoneum, ovaries, and/or fallopian tubes

The displaced cells act just like the endometrium tissue that lines your uterus in response to your menstrual cycle. The cells grow and bleed, which causes inflammation that may lead to scarring. 

What are endometriosis symptoms?

You can have endometriosis and not know it because the condition can develop without causing symptoms. However, pain is the most common symptom, which can vary in type and severity. 

Endometrial pain symptoms may include:

  • Severe menstrual pain
  • Chronic pelvic pain
  • Pain during intercourse
  • Intestinal pain
  • Pain during bowel movements or urination

Many women with endometriosis also experience difficulty getting pregnant due to scarring that may block the fallopian tubes. The disease also seems to impair egg quality.

How is endometriosis diagnosed?

Your gynecologist may use several methods to assist in diagnosing your endometriosis, such as a pelvic exam, ultrasound, and/or MRI. However, you may need a laparoscopy to confirm a diagnosis. During this minimally invasive procedure, your gynecologist inserts a thin tube equipped with a camera and a light (laparoscope) to evaluate the tissue in your abdomen and look for endometrial tissue. 

How is endometriosis treated?

Treatment for endometriosis is individualized based on your symptoms, the extent of your overgrowth, and your future pregnancy plans. If you’re not trying to get pregnant, you may be able to minimize your symptoms with birth control pills or other medications that suppress hormone fluctuations.

If you’re trying to get pregnant and diagnostic testing indicates scarring on your fallopian tubes, the team at University Reproductive Associates may suggest laparoscopic surgery to assess the severity of the scarring and, if possible, remove the damaged tissue. The experienced team may perform the procedure using traditional laparoscopic methods or advanced robotic methods for improved visualization and dexterity.

You may also be considered a good candidate for surgery if the pain caused by your endometriosis is affecting your quality of life. 

To schedule an evaluation at University Reproductive Associates, call the office or click the online booking button today.